Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Squash Gratin



I just love summer time vegetables that I pick up fresh from our local farmer's market!  I've made many squash casseroles, but this may be my new favorite!

  This is so yummy… it’s my take on a recipe from Southern Living
   Serves 8-10 (can easily be halved)

  • 4 pounds yellow squash, washed & sliced
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 cup  freshly shredded  cheese (I used Mexican blend)
  • 1 cup light mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian Panko)
  • 1 cup  freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • ¾  cup crushed French fried onions

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook yellow squash and sweet onion in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 8 minutes or just until vegetables are tender; drain squash mixture well.
  2. Combine squash mixture, shredded cheddar cheese, next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
  3. 3. Stir together melted butter and French fried onions. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
  4. 4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment