Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Home Made Slow Cooker Wonton Soup

Here's another version if you're a slow cooker fanatic like me. It's basically the same recipe as my Simple Wonton Soup. I've included a recipe for making your own wontons... you can still use frozen wontons in this one if you prefer.

Home Made Slow Cooker Wonton Soup

The soup:
~In a large crockpot, combine
1-2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil (optional, but I think it adds a nice touch)
roughly 8 c. chicken broth.
~Let it cook on low at least two hours, to blend the flavors. Since it's mostly liquid, it's fairly indestructible -- you should be able to leave it for a 12 hour day, without problems.
~Turn heat up to high and toss in wontons, 2 tbsp. sliced green onions more, and some cut up lettuce if you're trying to keep the vegetable content of your meal up (I often use nappa cabbage, chinese lettuce, or romaine: all three just wilt away and are kinda tasteless but inoffensive when cooked like this). Leave until the broth has returned to a simmer/boil, and has stayed there a few minutes (in my crock, I just figure it'll take 20-30 mins, but my crock tends to run a bit hot on high).

Wontons:
Sometimes you can buy them, but I've gotten to enjoy making my own. They work up in a big batch which freeze quite well, and the wrappers themselves will freeze just fine so long as they're wrapped up airtight. The trick is not letting them dry out, so I usually work with two at a time and keep the rest under a dampened paper towel. All measurements approximate.
1 pd. ground chicken (or turkey)
1-2 tbsp. finely minced ginger
1-2 tbsp. finely minced green onion
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil (optional)
Wonton wrappers (the number you'll need depends on how stuffed you want these; for tomorrow night's dinner, I used a full two-sided package, putting about 1 tsp. of filling in each, but I've overstuffed sometimes, and used half that number of wrappers; extras can always be frozen)
~Mash together the ingredients and scoop into the centre of the wrappers, folding around and sealing with water (pinch the edges tightly to prevent leaking). From here, they can be stored for a day or two in the fridge, frozen, or even baked directly in the oven (they'll come out with dark brown edges, crispy, and addictive to undergraduates).


No comments:

Post a Comment