Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mom's Favorite Hamburger Noodle Casserole


This is one of my all time favorite recipes that was handed down to me from my Mom.  We called it "noodle casserole" and it was one of the most requested in our home!  When my sisters learned that I had included this recipe in my blog, they were not happy with me for sharing it!  I was told that it was a secret family recipe and it should stay that way.  Somehow I missed out on knowing this important piece of information so it got included!  In my heart, I think Mama is smiling at me because I love her recipes so very much and want to share them with everyone.  This recipe, once again, is one of those great comfort food dishes; it is also wonderful when reheated if you're lucky enough to have any left!  I generally double the recipe and use a 9"x13" pan .  All you need to complete the meal is a tossed green salad and some bread sticks or a loaf of Italian or French bread.

Written on Mom's original recipe card:  "This one melts in your mouth!"
 Makes 6-8 servings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease 8x8 inch baking dish.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound ground beef
 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 8-oz pkg thin egg noodles
¼ tsp pepper
2 cups sour cream
1 medium onion, chopped
 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Brown beef – add salt, pepper, onion, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cook noodles according to package directions until tender. Drain. Place half of meat mixture in bottom of greased casserole. Place ½ of noodles on meat, add 1 cup sour cream, dropping randomly over the noodles. Repeat layers. Spread with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or til brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment