Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Baked Creamed Spinach

When you want to serve a healthy green side dish, you can't go wrong with spinach!  As creamed spinach is one of my favorites, I started with a recipe by Sunny Anderson of Food Network.  I made a few changes to make it more to family taste and used ingredients that I had on hand.  The result was delicious!

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
1/2 red onion, chopped (I used sweet Vidalia)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons red chili flakes (I used about 1/2 teaspoon to reduce spiciness)
1 3/4 cups heavy cream (I used one cup half & half and 3/4 cup low fat milk)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2 (10-oz) packages frozen chopped spinach. thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup packaged fried onions (recommended French's)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high  heat.  Add the onion & a pinch of salt.  Saute for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and red chili flakes and saute for 2 more minutes.  Add the cream, Parmesan, and nutgmeg.  Heat until the cream is just beginning to bubble, stirring often.  Turn the burner off and stir in sour cream and spinach.  Adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper to taste.  Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top evenly with fried onions.  Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment