Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Harvest Pumpkin and Beef Chili



Here I go again!  I just can't help it!  I love chili and I love my slow cooker and I love the colors, scents, and temperatures of Fall in North Carolina.  How better to celebrate than with a delicious and easy pumpkin chili!  To the drawing board I went and came up with this recipe that hubby Ken declares is his favorite chili recipe.  While brushing my Maltese Zoey the other day, Dr. Oz invaded my space and was talking about the health benefits of beta-carotene in the diet and advised that pumpkin is an excellent source.  Thereupon I decided to devise a pumpkin chili recipe.  Now if you know me, you know that I used canned pumpkin rather than using a real one! 


INGREDIENTS:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound sirloin beef tips
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 27-ounce can chili beans, undrained (I used mild)
1 15-ounce can seasoned black beans, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis*
½ cup dark beer (I used Guinness)*
1 cup beef broth*
1 can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 package taco seasoning
1 small jar salsa (I used mild)
Fresh ground pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until tender & transfer to slow cooker.
Brown sirloin tips in same skillet and transfer to slow cooker.
Brown ground beef in the skillet until well browned and crumbly & transfer to slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and stir until combined.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
 *You can add more tomatoes, beer, or broth to reach desired consistency.
Top with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, and frito chips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment