Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Carolina Lowcountry She Crab Soup



She crab soup is a coastal Carolina delicacy, that is said to have originated in Charleston, South Carolina (which, by the way, is one of my favorite cities!).   It's sort of a cross between a bisque and a chowder and is made of crab meat, crab roe, cream, butter, onions, celery, spices, and good sherry.  You start off by making a roux with the onions, butter, and flour, which gives it some of it's yummy flavor.  After researching many recipes, I used parts & parcels of several to come up with this version. Traditional she crab soup contains roe, but since I used a 16-ounce can of premium refrigerated crab, I didn’t include roe in mine. From what I’ve read, I can still call it she crab soup! It’s a bit lighter than many because I didn't use quite as much cream, but just as tasty as any I have ever experienced! You can serve this in a cup as a first course, or in a larger bowl for an entree course.  What can I say but Yum!?

In a New York Times article, I found this statement to be true: ''There is no tastier pot of goop than a simmering meal of she-crab soup!''

There's a great article that I found on the history of she crab soup in the Charleston City Paper, July 30, 2008 edition.

INGREDIENTS:
2 large onions diced
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 quarts half and half
1 pint light cream
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 and 1/2 tsp. ground mace
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup dry sherry
1 pound fresh white crabmeat (must be good quality)

DIRECTIONS:
In large stockpot, cook onions in butter over medium heat until soft. Reduce heat to low and gradually add flour, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Add half & half, cream and chicken broth, while continuing to stir. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Makes 1 gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment