Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Grown Up SpaghettiOs

Do you remember SpaghettiOs?  Campbell Soup Company first introduced SpaghettiOs in 1965 and I clearly remember the food advertising jingle, Uh Oh SpaghettiOs!  Click here to view a YouTube video of the jingle!  I loved SpaghettiOs as a child and silly as it seems, I love them as an adult... but I usually make my "grown-up" version as it is much less bland and much more tasty!  This is a budget friendly, kid friendly (of course for kids of all ages), super easy, quick dish to make!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!  I think I'm in a "comfort food state of mind"!  All you need to top this meal off is a loaf of crusty bread and a tossed green salad.  Perhaps a glass of champagne would be nice too!


Preheat oven  to 350 degrees
Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish
 Servings:  about 8

Ingredients:
4 cans SpaghettiOs (or 2 of the large cans)
1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 small onion, chopped (optional)
1 - 2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 box frozen  spinach, thawed and well drained (optional)
1 cup sour cream
1-2 cups shredded cheese of your choice


In a large skillet brown, heat the olive oil and brown the ground beef and onion.  Add seasonings to beef mixture.  Add all 4 cans of SpaghettiOs.  Pour this into your prepared 9x13 baking dish.  Spoon the drained spinach randomly on top, followed by random drops of sour cream.  Top with shredded cheese (use more or less as desired).  
Ready to Pop into the Oven:
Bake until hot & bubbly, about 25 minutes.
 *Variations to this that I've made include adding chopped fresh spinach, or a can of drained whole kernel corn, or a can of green peas. (You can use frozen spinach, corn or peas).





No comments:

Post a Comment