Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Cream of Pumpkin & Potato Soup



Nothing says fall is here more than pumpkins and sweet potatoes!  Since I was having a cozy meatloaf dinner, I didn't want to serve a cool salad but opted instead to serve a hot cream of pumpkin & potato soup!  I must say that it was delicious!   I wanted a bit more texture than the pumpkin puree would give so the combination of sweet & white potatoes came to the rescue.  This smelled divine as it cooked... imagine the house scented with pumpkin and spice from your slow cooker!  The end result was 5* as declared by my most valuable critic, hubby Ken. I'm thinking of several variations to this such as a bit of bacon for some smokiness or perhaps some green chilis for more spiciness... Stay tuned!  I forgot to snap a photo & we ate it all!  Next time I make this soup, I will post a photo.

Servings:  about 10
2  15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
1 baking potato, peeled and diced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth (1 32-oz. carton)
4 cups chicken broth (1 32-oz. carton)
2 Tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon tumeric
 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon allspice or cinnamon
1 Tablespoon sugar
½ - ¾ cups half & half or evaporated milk
Optional toppings:  sour cream and/or croutons

Mix all except half & half together in slow cooker and cook on low for about 8 hours.  Add cream to soup in slow cooker about an hour before serving.  Carefully use an immersion blender to puree the mixture for a smoother soup.  If you don’t have an immersion blender, cool the soup a bit, blend it in your blender,  and reheat.
Ladle it into bowls & top with sour cream and croutons! 

No comments:

Post a Comment