Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Patti's Corn Dog and Bean Bake




I’ve been going to the North Carolina State Fair in Raleigh ever since I was a teeny tiny little girl!  One of the things I loved the most was corn dogs!  Coincidentally, the NC State Fair is ongoing at this very moment so in its honor, I am making a special dinner tonight that features an adult version of the corn dog… if there is such a thing as an adult version!  I think it appeals to kid in all of us!  I  served it with Southern green beans and mac 'n cheese.


So, here it is:

Ingredients to serve 4-6 (can easily be doubled!):

1 22-oz can Bush’s Grillin’ Beans of your choice (I used Bourban & Brown Sugar)
1 15-oz can corn (I used Margaret Holmes skillet corn)
1 small onion, chopped (optional)
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
6 hotdogs, sliced into ½ inch rounds
1 package Jiffy cornbread mix, made according to instructions
  Add ½ cup shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
  (optional: add 1 can diced green chilis to the cornbread mix…yum!)

DIRECTIONS:

Stir together beans, corn, onion, and mustard and pour into 8x8 inch baking dish.  Place hotdog slices on top, covering the beans completely.

Top with the cornbread batter and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until cornbread topping is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment