Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Patti Pooh's Slow Cooked Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork




As you probably already know, I’m a Southern girl; but you may not know that I grew up loving Dr. Pepper!  It was my favorite soda of choice ever since I can remember… especially when the family went to Second Street Lunch for hotdog and hamburger supper!  (I don’t think that little hot spot even served bbq!). That was a weekly highlight of my “wonder” years!   And for Patti Pooh?  That's what my Mama and Daddy called me when I was a wee thing.

Anyway, here’s a recipe that I made tonight as I was feeling kind of sad and lonely since Daddy is in Hospice House.  I am hoping that this dish brings a smile.

INGREDIENTS:
1  2 to 3 pound boneless pork tenderloin (mine was about 2 ½ pounds)
1 can Dr. Pepper (I used one of the smaller 8-oz size cans)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s, Sticky Fingers, etc.)
Ground pepper to taste (I like to use pepper liberally…)
1 Tablespoon pork rub of choice… or I used Montreal Steak Seasoning this time

DIRECTIONS:
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.  Place pork tenderloin in slow cooker.  Combine sauce ingredients in medium bowl and pour over pork.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Remove pork from sauce and shred with two forks.
Add sauce to pork as needed (I added about 2 cups)
I poured my remaining sauce in a glass jar for extra sauce for anyone who wants more sauce… or to refrigerate and save for another occasion.  (I had about a pint of extra sauce).

Serve with your favorite sides dishes (on a bun or not!):  Caroline sweet cole slaw, Tater Tots (or potato salad), baked beans, creamed corn, mac ‘n cheese… oh the list goes on and on! 

Smile and pay it forward!   


No comments:

Post a Comment