Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Roasted Pear Salad with Maple Vinaigrette



I hosted a soup dinner party this weekend for our One-Pot Dinner Club reunion.  I just love pears, cranberries, and pecans so what better to accompany my soups than a roasted pear salad?!  This recipe is adapted from one by “Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body” and was just perfect with my FrenchCanadian split pea soup and pumpkin beef chili. 

I do have a word of caution though.  I nearly sliced off the tip of my pinky finger with a peeler as I was peeling the pears.  Ouch!  Wow was that ever painful, causing me to nearly faint!  After about two rounds of several layers of band-aids, and about 45 minutes of applying pressure, the bleeding finally ceased.  My hubby doctor took a look and said that I didn’t need to go to the urgent care center.  Yippee!  With a new bandage I continued to work on peeling the pears, but this time with a knife.  This salad was worth all of that pain!!!  We loved it!

INGREDIENTS: 
1 bag baby spinach
3 ripe pears (I used Bosc)
Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 Tablespoons lemon juice)
½ cup apple cider
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup glazed pecans (or chopped and toasted pecans)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Peel the pears and cut into slices, removing the cores and seeds, about 6 slices per pear.

Whisk together the apple cider, vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup and 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium bowl.  Add the pear slices to the bowl and gently stir to coat well.

Arrange the pear slices in a baking dish and bake until tender, about 40 minutes.  Baste every ten minutes with the cider mixture.  Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. 

Whisk together the remaining olive oil, the Dijon mustard and ½ cup of the cider mixture. Toss the spinach with the dressing, pecans and cranberries and divide among 6 plates. Top each salad with 3 pear slices, season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment