Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Chocolate Bourban Pecan Pie



Pecans, chocolate, bourbon... oh my!
I just booked a Mardi Gras cruise that overnights in New Orleans; it's not until February 2017, but I'm already excited.  In that spirit, I was looking for a Mardi Gras dessert recipe and decided to make a bourbon pecan pie that included chocolate. I made it for a dinner party to absolutely rave reviews!!!  I used a good bourbon, Maker's Mark, which I think made a big difference in the outcome.  Of course, I used my Southern girl all-time favorite syrup... Karo maple flavored (it has a green label)!   

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup corn syrup (I used maple Karo with the green label)
3 Tablespoons bourbon whiskey (I used Maker’s Mark)
3 large eggs
½ cup melted butter (unsalted)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust


DIRECTIONS:
§  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
§  Place the pie crust in deep dish pie pan and cover with the chocolate chips.
§  Whisk the sugar and syrup until well combined.
§  Add the bourbon, eggs, salt, and vanilla extract.
§  Whisk in the eggs and stir to combine well.
§  Fold in the pecans.
§  Pour mixture over the chocolate chips in the pie shell.
§  Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until set and golden.

Top with whipped cream; for an extra zip top with bourban or cinnamon whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment