Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Congo Bars - A Blast from the Past



Oh how we loved congo bars!  I really don't know the derivation of the name; but nonetheless, these bars were a childhood favorite!  I had forgotten about them until I was perusing my Mom's recipes in order to compile a cook book of her favorites.  So, for the first time in many moons (ages really!), I am making these chocolate chip blondies!  Some congo bars/squares recipes include coconut; I am guessing that since my sisters and I didn't really care for coconut as children, Mom left it out.   I love coconut now and think it would be equally as good with coconut as it is without! These are so yummy that I am going to have to either hide them from myself or give them away as gifts!

INGREDIENTS:
1 ½ sticks margarine, melted
1 box light brown sugar
3 eggs
2 ¾ cups flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1 large package chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Melt margarine and pour over sugar. 
Stir to combine and cook slightly.
Add eggs, one at a time and mix to combine.
Add dry ingredients and blend well.
Add vanilla, nuts, and chocolate chips.
Pour in a greased 10x14” pan
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Cool and cut into bars or squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment