Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Bobotie



What in the world is bobotie?  And how is it pronounced?  And why haven’t I heard of it before now?  It's such a fun word to say... bobotie bobotie... it just makes me smile to say the word!  It's got to be as much fun to eat it as to say it, right?


Bobotie is sort of like a meat pie (in a way similar to moussaka) with a Dutch, Indonesian & South African twist!  It’s been touted as the national dish of South Africa and is thought to have originated in Indonesia.  Colonists from the Dutch East India Company colonies likely brought bobotie to South Africa.  It consists of minced meat (I used ground beef), spices to include turmeric and curry, almonds, and fruit (I used apricots).  It is covered with a savory egg custard and baked.   It’s not at all “eggy”, the custard keeps it moist.  It reminds me of Moroccan tagine cuisine.

In researching the pronunciation, I discovered quite a number of variations, but it seems that it is pronounced bo-bo-tee.  I guess I’ll just have to visit South Africa to find out for myself the correct pronunciation!

I don’t know why I haven’t experienced this tasty dish before now.  But I’m happy that I discovered it and will serve it often!  It’s fun to  make and the spicy sweetness just make you smile.

I made this in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, which went from stove top to the oven.  
 

Bobotie
 Servings - 6
INGREDIENTS:
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small apple, cored, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound lean ground beef
¼ cup slivered almonds
2 slices white bread, crusts removed
1 cup milk, divided
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
1 Tablespoon apricot preserves
1 tablespoon chutney (I used mango chutney)
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
·         Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
·         Add oil to a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
·         Then add onions, apple, and ginger; season with salt and pepper to taste.
·         Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 10 minutes.
·         Add turmeric and curry powder and stir to combine.
·         Add beef and cook, until well browned and crumbly (break beef into small crumbles). 
·         Stir in almonds and cook a couple more minutes.
·         Meanwhile tear bread into pieces and put in small bowl.  Add a bit less than ¼ cup milk and ¼ teaspoon salt and let stand until milk is absorbed; stir to combine.
·         Add bread mixture to beef, and cook, stirring occasionally until well combined, about 2 minutes.
·         Stir in dried apricots, apricot preserves and chutney. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
·         Whisk eggs, nutmeg and remaining ¾ cup milk in a medium bowl.  Pour over beef.
·         Bake until set and center is firm, about 35 minutes and let stand a few minutes prior to serving.

I served this with cinnamon raisin rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment