Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Southern Stewed Potatoes

 
I can’t believe that I’ve never made delicious “soupy” potatoes (as we called them when growing up)!  I think I feared that I couldn’t make them exactly the way Mom did and I’d be disappointed!  These potatoes were always a treat and we often enjoyed them served along with cornbread and black eye peas.   I had a corned beef brisket cooking in the slow cooker and wanted something other than mashed potatoes so voila!  Soupy Stewed Potatoes.  Now, this is NOT potato soup.  It’s chunks of potatoes, cooked with butter and thickened with flour and milk.  And it's easy!  I don't know why I waited so long to make my own soupy potatoes!


INGREDIENTS:
·         4-5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 1-inch cubes
·         salt and pepper to taste
·         2 tablespoons flour
·         ½ cup water
·         ½ cup milk
·         3 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS:
1.     Peel and cube the potatoes; place them in a medium sauce pan and fill with water until it's about an inch above the potatoes.
2.    Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender (not falling apart).
3.    Once the potatoes are done, keep them in the same water you cooked them in and reduce to a low heat.
4.    Whisk together the flour and half cup of water in a bowl until the flour is dissolved and no lumps remain.
5.    Stirring constantly, add the dissolved flour and water to the pot with the potatoes and water. Allow a few minutes to cook on simmer so that it can thicken.
6.    Add more flour if you want it thicker, or more water if you want it thinner.
7.    Add milk, salt, pepper, and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment