Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Charleston Cheese Date Crackers



 (adapted from The Local Palate Magazine)

Oh how I love cheese!!!  Always have; always will!  Cheese just makes me smile.  I found this recipe in "The Local Palate Magazine:  Food Culture of the South" and just had to bake these this morning!  I made it a bit differently as I used the cheese that I had in my fridge, which was a combination of sharp cheddar, Vermont cheddar, and mild cheddar.  I also reduced the spiciness because hubby doesn't care too much for spicy.  They turned out great but next time I plan to make them as the recipe directs... how spicy can they be??? 

INGREDIENTS:
1 stick butter, softened
½ pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon or more cayenne pepper, sifted with flour
8 ounces chopped dates

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter.  Add cheese, flour, and cayenne and mix to form a stiff dough.  Then add dates.
Make small rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Press tops with a fork.  Cook for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown.
 Here they are ready to pop into the oven!
Note:  It takes a while to combine the ingredients into a stiff dough!  I used my stand mixer and it took about 10 minutes so be patient!  The dough was still a bit crumbly, but was easily formed into rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment