Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Easy Roux-Less Chicken & Sausage Gumbo



Easy Week Night Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
  (& it’s roux-less for those who have gluten free diets)
Servings: about 10-12

I already have a wonderful “to go to” gumbo recipe (zydeco gumbo) in my collection, but I wanted to do a simple, easy, and quick version that didn’t include the step of making a roux.  Roux is a staple in gumbo recipes but I found that if you use good smoked sausage, okra, and a good dose of Cajun seasoning, you can omit the roux & the result is a gumbo worthy of recommendation!  Roux (pronounced roo) is a combination of equal parts flour & fat (i.e. one cup of flour and one cup of butter).  It's used as a thickening agent and also deepens the flavor of the gumbo or stew.  Gumbo recipes generally require a deep mahogany colored roux and this can take 20 minutes to make. 

As you will see from the recipe, I took a lot of shortcuts, even including a package of PicSweet vegetables for gumbo.  Yes, okra is one of those veggies but when it cooks on low heat for a long time, it will just melt in your mouth.  I think you will be surprised!

I made this yesterday in my slow cooker (you know how I love slow cooking!) … I just dumped the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and made the rice in the evening before serving up a lovely bowl of gumbo!  Hubby said that this is a keeper for sure and he wants me to keep it “on the rotation”!  No complaints from me as it was yummy with a capital Y!

INGREDIENTS:
1 Rotisserie chicken, chopped
1 pound Kielbasa, thinly sliced
2 cans chicken broth
1 (12 ounce) bottle of light beer
1 package frozen gumbo vegetables
3 15-oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, with liquid
1 can corn niblets, drained (I used Fiesta Corn.. or  you could use frozen)
Cajun seasoning to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
½ carton Philly Cooking Crème (original flavor)

DIRECTIONS:
Chop chicken, slice sausage and put in slow cooker.
Add all remaining ingredients except for cream cheese. 
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, add cream cheese.

*If cooking on stove top, put all ingredients (except cream cheese)  in large dutch oven or stock pot and simmer for about an hour.  Fifteen minutes before serving, stir in cream cheese.

Serve over fluffy rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment