Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Elsie Lee's Southern Pecan Pie



Elsie Lee’s Southern Pecan Pie

Mom’s pecan pie is Southern goodness & hospitality at its finest!  Or perhaps I should say sweetest!  We grew up on Karo Syrup & it was mandatory that it be the bottle with the green label.  Nothing else would do.   Karo Syrup has been around since about 1902; but in 1938, Karo Green label waffle syrup was introduced and was quickly adopted as a favorite waffle syrup.   Though once widely available in supermarkets, it has become difficult to find the green label Karo in recent years.  When I do spot it in a grocery store, I purchase 6 or more bottles!  A Southern girl can’t run out of Karo!

Pecan pie is a great holiday dessert or for me it’s just an anyday favorite sweet!  Most recipes call for either Karo dark or light syrup but I think the Karo green label  (maple flavored waffle syrup) makes this pie even better!  

**update note 11/19/12:  I'm visiting my Dad and decided to make this pie for a family dessert but I couldn't find the green label Karo so I made it with 1/2 cup light Karo and 1/2 cup of dark Karo and the result is also phenomenal yumminess.  So don't worry if you can't find my favorite  Karo; a combo of light & dark works just fine.  This being said, I also just discovered that you can order green label Karo pancake & waffle syrup from Amazon.com!  It's on my Amazon wish list already!

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup Karo green label pancake/waffle syrup
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 (9-inch)  unbaked deep dish pie crust

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 F
In large bowl mix together syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla using a whisk or spoon
Stir in pecans
Pour filling into pie crust
Bake on center rack of oven for 50-55 minutes.
Cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment