Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

South of the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup, Slow Cooker Style

Well... you know by now that I love my slow cooker and use it at every opportunity. I am now home again and cooking in my kitchen. Though I miss my family in Greenville, it is good to be home. Hubby was eagerly awaiting me & my chef's hat as he had grown tired of frozen pizzas, Chinese take-out, and beanie weanies! (But we do owe a big thanks for friends & neighbors who fed him some real food!).

On the menu for supper yesterday was this chicken tortilla soup recipe... all it needed was a batch of home made cornbread and a side salad. As Rachael Ray says, "yummo"!

• 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken (about 3 cups)
• 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
• 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
• ½ teaspoon cumin
• ½ teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
• 1/3 cup brown rice (I used brown minute rice)
• 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Stir in corn, brown rice and black beans. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.

Serve with crushed tortilla chips, salsa, diced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions as toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment