Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Italian Sausage & Potato Frittata



I  haven't posted in a while because I was away on vacation to the Dominican Republic!  I'm home now & it's back to the real world... you see I haven't cooked in over a week as we were visiting an all-inclusive resort with friends.  We were in a villa & even had a private chef!  As today is Sunday and hubby loves breakfast/brunch more than almost anything, I decided to try this recipe that I found in Phyllis Hoffman's "Celebrate" magazine.  The result was definitely yummy so it's a keeper.  I can envision making it in several variations:  vegetarian with peppers, onions, and spinach or bacon and gouda cheese or tomato & basil... shrimp & crab....I think the options may be endless!  Enjoy!

Note:  I halved the recipe and made it in an 10-inch oven proof skillet to make four servings.

 (slightly adapted from “Celebrate” magazine)
   6-8 servings

1 dozen large eggs
½ cup half & half
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 (1-pound) package mild ground Italian sausage
1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated diced potatoes with onion (I used Simply Potatoes)
¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or your favorite)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, salt, and pepper.

In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.  Add sausage and potatoes; cook until sausage is browned and crumbly and potatoes are lightly browned, stirring frequently.  Add potato mixture to egg mixture.  Wipe skillet with a paper towel and spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Pour mixture into prepared skillet.

Bake until set, about 23 to 25 minutes; sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  Cut into wedges & serve.
*Top with salsa for an added zip!

No comments:

Post a Comment