Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Elsie Lee's Creamed Corn



 Elsie Lee’s Creamed Corn... sort of!

Well, nobody can make creamed corn like my Mom did!  We eagerly anticipated the summer months, when we would go a local farm to get dozens of ears of corn.  We sat on the screened porch and removed the husks & cut out the bad wormy parts, so that Mom could make batches of creamed corn for the freezer.  It was sooooo good!  In fact it was so good that I have never had the courage to make it myself because I just knew that mine would never be as good as hers was.  She's been gone for over two and a half years now and I miss her every single day.   I came home from a recent visit to our local farm market where I purchased two dozen ears of farm fresh corn.... and I decided to give creamed corn a try.  I had lots of fun making this; it can be a bit messy as corn and corn milk were squirting every which a way!  It turned out great; it's not quite my Mom's recipe as that was only in her head, never written down... but here's my version. I think Mom is smiling down at me right now!

Servings: 8 to 10




16 ears fresh corn, husks removed
1 ½ cups half & half
6 Tablespoons  salted butter
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Rinse the corn and run your fingers along each cob to remove the silks.

Use a knife or, even easier, use a “corn zipper, corn scraper, corn kernel remover, corn peeler” (these handy gadgets are known by many names!) to remove the kernels from the cob.

Hold each ear of corn in a vertical position with the bottom of the ear resting in a large deep bowl.  Slice downward and remove the kernels.  Note that this will only remove ½ of the kernel, so give another slice with the back side of the knife and press to release the sweet corn milk.  Look at the bowl of goodness that you have!


Add the corn, most of the half and half, and butter to a large pot.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t burn.   Reduce heat to low and cook about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add salt and pepper to taste.   Add the remaining half and half, if necessary, for desired consistency & continue to cook over low heat until heated through.

Serve and Smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment