Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Patti's Southern Peach Cake



I literally grew up with Southern peaches, starting with Gerber peaches (some of which were supplied by SC orchards).  Two of my Grandmother’s sisters had peach orchards in South Carolina.  In fact, my very first job was working in Auntie Beulah’s peach packing facility.  I was not old enough to legally work, but being thirteen, I was eager to hang out with the older high school kids who worked at her plant during the summer.  As Aunt Beulah & Uncle Ralph were protective of me, since I was living with my grandparents for the summer, I was placed in the refrigerated rooms, away from the big machinery.  This was where we packaged the best peaches for the grocery stores.  This area was so cold that I needed to wear a sweater.  I became smitten with Stanley, a high school kid who worked in the large primary packing facility with the conveyer belts and large machinery (you know off limits to me).  As it happened I ventured out to speak with him during a lunch break and my sweater sleeve got caught in a conveyer belt & my arm was being pulled in to the peach machine.  I couldn’t believe how fast everything came to a stand-still!  Even my sweater was rescued!  Needless to say, that was my last day at Beulah’s packing plant!

My mom taught me how to correctly peel a peach when I was a teenager.  There IS a correct way so that you end up with beautiful peach slices.  Of course, it helps if the peaches are “free stones”!  My love for peaches never ceases!  I hope you enjoy this cake.  In my opinion, it’s excellent for dessert, coffee, or even breakfast!



INGREDIENTS:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

2 cups sugar (or 1 cup Splenda sugar blend)

4 eggs

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon almond extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

3 cups fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped

Peach Glaze for Topping:

2 cups confectioners’ sugar

3 Tablespoons peach nectar (or milk)

½ teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS:

  •   Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Butter a 10-inch tube pan and sprinkle to   coat lightly with sugar.
  •   In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy; then add the eggs one at a time.  Beat well after each addition and stir in vanilla and almond extracts. 
  •  Reserve ¼ cup of the flour to coat the peaches.  Sift the remaining 2 ¾ cup flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Blend this into the creamed butter mixture, a little at a time.  Beat until well blended. 
  •   Coat the peaches with the reserved flour and fold the peaches into the batter.  Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan.
  •  Bake for 60 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Allow to cool in pan for ten minutes or so before removing it to serving plate.

 If desired, top with peach glaze:  Mix together 2 cups confectioners’ sugar with 3 Tablespoons peach nectar and ½ teaspoon almond extract.  Drizzle over slightly warm cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment